The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Princess Celine & Deirdra (Enroute for Esterbrook)
05-22-2014, 05:31 PM,
Princess Celine & Deirdra (Enroute for Esterbrook)
The fire crackled in the night as the guards moved their way around the camp site. Just at the edge of the camp site, the horses were settling down after a hard days right. A pair of guards tended to the horse as they ensured that each was well feed and given plenty of water. Like the rest of the guards, they were dressed in shiny armor and each wore a bright green cloak with a thick purple stripe running down the full length of the cloak. The cloaks marked the guards as Royal Guards to the Adrirawyr Court. The road they traveled was a common one well traveled by anyone heading to the grand city of Esterbrook. Even though the road was well traveled and heavily patrolled by the Arendale army, the Royal Guards took no chanced as they cast their Alarm spells and protected their campsite.

As the camp site started to settle down, a few guards started to remove their armor as they prepared for rest. Others were setting for their first shift on watch. Near a large decorated wagon, a pair of Gray Elf females gathered by the fire. By their size and faces, anyone how knew Gray Elves could tell that they were no more than a hundred twenty years old. One was the Adrirawyr Princess Celine. She was dressed in a two piece silky flowing gown that was highlighted with bands of purple, denoting her place in the Royal Court. Over her shoulders she pulled up a finely crafted thick blanket. The youngest of five, Princess Celine was on her first and last journey from beyond her Kingdom and home. She was being taken to Esterbrook, where she would meet her would be husband, Lord Calil of the City of Icewater. Her marriage had been arranged years before she was born and she never seen the man she was due to marry. The look of sadness could not be mistaken in her eyes as she set before the fire.

The other Gray Elf female was Princess Celine's trusted and loyal maiden, Deirdra. Born in to the Royal Court as a servant, Deirdra had been hand picked to be Princess Celine's trusted friend. The two were of the same age and were able to enjoy the same degree of eduction. While this trip was to bind Princess Celine in to life of marriage to a man she didn't love. This trip meant something else for Celine. It is tradition, that once the Princess gives birth to her first son, her Maiden would be released from service and allowed to live her own life. However for Deirdra, her close friend and almost sister, Princess Celine had already agreed to release Deirdra from service after the wedding night.

Princess Celine, set down before the fire as Deirdra waved her hand over the fire and caused the flames to increase. "Is it me, or is it untimely cold here?" the Princess Celine said as she pulled her blanket over her shoulder and added, "I only packed my spring and summer garments."

Deirdra shiver a bit as she moved closer to the fire. It's warmth helped warmed her body up from the chilled wind. "I don't think it just you, My Lady. Winter does seemed to be lasting a bit longer this year." Deirdra looked up to the night sky and noted the uncharacteristic weather. "I packed a spare cloak. should you need it, it is yours" she offered. With only a day and a half left till they reached Esterbrook it was nearly pointless to stop for more clothing now. It was certain that they would be given better clothes there. "Still, Arendale is normally well known for its tempered weather in these parts. I wonder if the weather here has anything to do with the strange untimely rains that have hit our own lands six years in a row."

Princess Celine shook her head, "I don't really know if our rains have anything to do with the cold here. Just before we left, I overheard my father speaking to the High Priests about the rains. They are sure that some how we have upset the Gods and this is why they have washed away our crops."

With a wave of her hand, another large log slowly drifted on to the fire, "I don't know why the Gods are so anger at us. They send rain upon our Kingdom. We have strive to abide by their every Law." Her voice drifted off as she looked in to the fire. "Laws, they bind us to service when our hearts pull us else where" Princess Celine spoke softly. It was an old subject and one that was soon running out of time. Princess Celine hated the idea of this union. She had fallen in love with a local farmer's son who would bring fresh fruits and vegetables to the Palace. She all but pleaded with her father to call off this marriage contract. However thanks to the rains and the loss of their crops, Adrirawyr needed to be on good relations with Arendale. These relations were paramount to the vital food trade that would make up for the losses over the past few years.

Princess Celine gave a deep sigh once more as she played with the fire with a long stick. "Have you ever wondered what it will be like when you are released from service" she asked her best friend.

Deirdra shook her head "no not really My Lady, am not sure what I will do. Actually I have to admit, I am slightly scared of what is to come. Though I am not scared in a bad way My Lady. I am excited over this, but at the same time, I am worried. All my life, Palace life is all that I have known" Deirdra's voice trailed off as she gazed in to the fire. The future was clearly uncertain for both of them. "Though I have been thinking about traveling first. Maybe take a grand adventure or something exciting like that" Deirdra said softly.

Princess Celine nodded to the comments as she too watched the fire. A cold wind blew in from the east and caused both female elves to shiver once more. Princess Celine was grateful that the guards were keeping their distance as the two of them continued to speak. "I hate the Palace life. The events, the being displayed like a trophy to some man to whom I have no love or even emotions for" Princess Celine said as she stoked the fire with a stick. as she moved her stick around the fire, ambers floated up above the fire. She laughed as she looked up to her friend, "you seem more fitting of the life than I ever will. Do you remember last season's farmers ball?" The flash in both their memories caused the two women to laugh across the fire.

Deirdra laughed across the fire, "Oh my gods, My Lady. I don't think anyone will forget ball. You had drunken too much wine. I still remember the look on your father's face when he and the others walked in on you and that farmer. Oh, what was his name?" she ponder for an moment trying to recall the name as she smiled and laughed at the memory.

Princess Celine laughed, "his name is Tilmalas. And beyond what my father thought, we were only talking and sipping on Ale."

Deirdra continued to laugh, "Oh My Lady, your father was so mad. When he walked in to the Throne Room and there you two were lounging on the steps before the Throne drinking ale like commoners. I truly thought that he was going to have Tilmalas executed for ruining his 'sweet little princess'". She busted out in laughter as she pulled her cloak in tighter.

Princess Celine laughed as she took a sip from her wine skin and levitated the skin over to her Maiden in Waiting. "Oh yes, was he mad! Had the guards lock me in my room for two weeks." She smiled as she gazed in to the fire. "I remember how you calmed him down. You were so much the daughter he wanted. I know he loves me, and I am for sure he loves you like a daughter as well. But if he had to choose, I would think he would choose you Deirdra."

Deirdra snapped her head up from the fire, "No My Lady. Yes I am sure I am seen as part of the family. But he loves you very much. After all, you are his last daughter. No one can replace you My Lady."

Princess Celine's smile faded, "I disagree Deirdra, I can be replaced. I don't want to be anyone prefect princess." Princess Celine paused for a moment as her eyes drifted deeper in to the fire. "I don't want this life. I never wanted this life. There are so many times I wish I was you. You are free to move around and do what you please." Her eyes never left the fire as both women fell silent. After a moment of silence, Princess Celine spoke up once more, "the endless balls, endless events being shown off as just something to have. Not to be loved for who I am."

Deirdra allowed her Princess to speak her heart. It had been the same as many conversations before. Deirdra knew that her trusted friend hated the idea of her future. However Deirdra knew that the role was not as bad as the Princess was making it out. Given the opportunity, Deirdra finally spoke up. "My Lady, tis is not a bad life. Yes what you speak is true. But there is so much good that can be done as well. Think of how many you can help from your position. Think of how many look up to you. I see them back home. Every little girl we pass looks up to you. You are what they dream of becoming one day. I know it seems hard to see right now, but you will see how things will get better for you."

Princess Celine nodded her head, "Deirdra, its not that. I believe what you say. I know it will get better. I also know it could be a lot worse for me. None of this is the issue." She trailed off for a bit as she searched the campsite. After ensuring that none of the guards were in ear shot, "Tell you a secret my trusted friend. I have secretly been seeing my farmer, Tilmalas, behind my father's back."

Deirdra smiled, "I know My Lady. Who do you think has been covering for you two?"

Princess Celine snapped her eyes right in to Deirdra's smile. "You knew? All this time?" she asked in shock and surprise. Princess Celine had thought that no one knew her secret. That she had been so careful to protect her secret love with Tilmalas. "Why didn't you say something?"

Deirdra nodded her head and continued to hold her soft smile, "My Lady, it is my role as your Maiden to protect your heart and your secrets. I know that your heart will forever belong to Tilmalas. I didn't say anything cause I trusted you would tell me when you felt you could."

Princess Celine nodded as she dropped her eyes to the fire. "It doesn't matter now. I will never see Tilmalas again. I am to be married to a man who I do not love nor will ever love like Tilmalas." The tears started to flow from her eyes as she thought of the love that she has lost.

Deirdra gazed down in to the fire. She hated to see her friend suffer like this. Deirdra and Celine had been friends all their lives. In fact when they were babies the Queen had Deirdra's, mother who was a servant in the Palace, place Deirdra's crib next to Celine's crib. There was not a day that passed where Deirdra could not remember being part of Celine's life. The pain and anguish on Celine's face was so much that even Deirdra started to cry. "My Lady, I would gladly take your place if it would allow you to be with your beloved."

Princess Celine laughed a bit. But her sadness could still be heard even in her laughter. The tears didn't stop. "It would never work" Celine said softly.

Deirdra thought for a moment as she looked down to the fire. It dawned on her, "why wouldn't it work?" She rose her gaze back to Celine who was now looking at her. "Think of it. Remember no one in Arendale knows what you look like. No one knows you better than me. Why wouldn't it work?" Deirdra paused for a moment. In that second she realized that she was about to trade her freedom from Court life to help her friend escape to the man that Celine loved. "My Lady, who would suspect anything?"

Princess Celine shifted her gaze to her hand as she played with a ring. It was a gift from her Grandfather on her twelve birthday. The ring had been enchanted with a powerful polymorph incantation. The ring had been given to a child as a means to entertain herself. As a child, Celine used to change herself in to house hold pets and even a large bird. How she would love to soar high above the Palace in an illusion of being free from Palace life. However, later Celine found the ring extremely useful to evade the Palace Guards when she desired to meet her beloved. The conversations had taken a turn that she never expected. "But your freedom Deirdra. What of your dreams?"

Deirdra knew she was reaching the point of no return. "My Lady, all my life I have been in service to you. If giving up my freedom and my dreams to help you brings happiness to your life, than this is what I will do. I know this will work, you have to trust me. No one will suspect a thing. Believe me My Lady, I can be you." Deirdra looked at the guards in the distance and wondered for a moment, "I know that once married, you will never be asked to return home. But what of the guards. They would know and would sound the alarm."

Princess Celine nodded, "I can handle the guards. Once we arrive at Esterbrook, I will dismiss the guards and send them home." Celine took off her ring, "If you ever need to look just like me, or to fool my family" she offered the ring, "take this."

Deirdra looked at the ring in Celine's hand. She knew how special the ring was to Celine. It was one of her most cherished items. Deirdra knew that the ring gave Celine the ability to shape shift in to just about anything for a few hours. How could she take such a cherished item from her friend. "My Lady, I can't" Deirdra said softly pushing Celine's hand back.

Princess Celine pushed her hand back against Deirdra's effort, "You are giving up our freedom for my happiness. This is the least I can do" Celine said as she took Deirdra's hand and placed the ring in it. "So it is agreed that once we reach Esterbrook, I will dismiss the guards and send them home. Then we will switch places. I will take on your place and you will take mine. I will keep up the act to ensure that everyone accepts you as Princess Celine. Some time after your married, release me."

Deirdra looked down at the ring as the orange glow of the fire danced over it. She knew that if the two were caught at their little trick, that both could be hung for it. Impersonating nobility was a high crime in every Kingdom of the realm. Still, it was the only way she could ensure that Celine would have a chance to find love in her simple farmer. Deirdra closed her hand as if to seal her own fate. She was giving up all that she hoped for and all that she dreamed. There were tears in her heart. For her, there would be no grand adventures. No sailing the high seas, no exploring the lands beyond her home. Deirdra looked up in to the eyes of her Lady and saw hope.

She would become a trophy bride for some Lord who was nearly three times her age. Deirdra sighed heavily as she nodded her head. She loved Celine as a sister. Deidra knew that to give up her own dreams would mean that Celine could be happy. It was a small price to pay. "Yes My Lady. Its agreed."

Princess Celine smiled at the agreement, "Deirdra, I am so happy. I will never be able to repay you. Thank you so much for this."

It was just in that moment that shrieks in the distances caused both female elves to look upward towards the heavens. It didn't take the pair long to locate the source of the high pitched shrieks. There against the full moon were three flying creatures. For a moment the pair looked at the blackened figures with awe and wonder. Long ago, it was those shrieks that were the cause of so much terror and fear. It was clear that the creatures were far off in the distance but their shape was unmistakable. It was Princess Celine who spoke up first, "May the Elven Gods have mercy upon us all.....Wyverns!"

Deirdra's shock was mirrored by that of her Lady's. "That's not possible. Wyverns haven't been seen in Liasien for...."

Princess Celine, "Over thirty thousand years....."