The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome to Mechwarrior: Dark Tides (READ ME FIRST!)
02-28-2014, 09:16 PM,
Welcome to Mechwarrior: Dark Tides (READ ME FIRST!)
Welcome to Mechwarrior: Dark Tides

First let me get this disclaimer out there. This is NOT a traditional cannon Mechwarrior game. This meaning that we do not lay out the maps and battle in mechs every game. This is a story based game where role playing is vital to the enjoyment of everyone. Also, this is not the cannon Mechwarrior universe as written in most of the FASA Mechwarrior books. We try to keep it close but to ensure surprise and enjoyment of the game, this is a mixture of both cannon plots with home brew plots and twists. Okay so now that the disclaimer is out there, lets continue.

Because of my narrating style, I strongly advise that all players (New and experienced) look over the Archetypes listed in their Thread. Read them over and review them. These characters have already been approved for game play without need for change. I ask that these archetypes be considered first before creating your own character so that you can learn the game, the story plots and our group. This is the fastest and smoothest method to transition you in to the game. The importance of this is due to the limits on game time during actual game sessions. We have hard stop times and only game twice a month.

As this game continues to grow, I will be expanding the Archetype base to include more archetypes for selection.

I understand the desire to create a more personalized character than simply an archetype which has been pre-selected. In order to make this possible for ALL players, I offer a compromise. I ask that you select your archetype, create a very basic background (Name, nationality, realm of origin) and played in your first game session. After your first game session but before the sixth game session, you MAY at your desire make changes to this character. You may change any, all or none of your character to suit your own desires and vision of what you see is your character. This includes tossing out the entire character and recreating the character from the ground up.

Backgrounds and Character Ages
This is not a level based game, such as it is in life. As human beings we are not based on our levels but on our experience and age. Because of this, all new characters are coming in to the game as fresh from school, Academy, Basic Training, ect, ect. They will have no other experience than the training they have from that background. The starting age of a character is 18.

If you desire a older/more experienced character, you can age your character via a enriched character background. This will add years to your character's starting age. I will review all backgrounds and award Character Creation Skill Points as appropriate. Here is a hint guys, for me, it is all about the story not the action. Let loss your imagination.

This brings me to the very most important piece of information that you need to know. The character backgrounds are yours to create. Once they are submitted for review, they belong to me. Meaning, I will take these backgrounds and weave plots and subplots in to the main storyline that will tie your character to the main storyline. Also I will create side plots from your background for you to explore at your desire. It is important for you to understand that what the character knows about the background is what he knows to be true. This does not mean it is the complete truth or all that there is to know.

Example

Character history: Billy's family was killed in a car accident. Billy was raised by his uncle.

Truth mixed in with Sub-Plot: Billy's mother and father had been targeted by a rival and murdered. Now Billy gets to uncover why they were murdered.

End Example

The deeper you go in your character background, the more involved I will go in creating subplots and side plots for you.

In your background, I highly suggest that you explain what is your character's drives. Greed, power, helping others and so on. Also, I have created Moral Compasses. While this game doesn't have alignments, this is designed to be a Heroes Game. Not a Villains Game! I posted the Moral Compasses as to help the characters work towards this goal.

Not All Heroes are Created Equal!

There are a number of examples of Dark Heroes throughout our literary history. I understand that Dark Heroes are possible and have no problems with them. However because this is a game designed and run for the enjoyment of all, if you wish to run a Dark Hero, than you must pitch your idea to the group as a whole and seek their support for it. I retain the option to veto any Dark Hero pitch that may cause conflict with the party or the over all main story line. This being said, if the party supports your pitch and are willing to back you up, than by all means give it a go. However there will only be one Dark Hero allowed during any time of this game. By their very nature Dark Heroes rare work well with other let alone other Dark Heroes. Because of this, more than one Dark Hero will cause the game to fracture and the enjoyment of game play will be lost for some players.

Create Your Own Character!

I understand that archetypes can not fill all desires of every player. I get the need that some players may find it more appealing to create their own characters from scratch and not wish to play an archetype at all. With this in mind, if you are willing to show up to the game at least an hour before the game starts and are soundly familiar with the game system already, I will allow you to create a character from stretch. However I have to advise that this is not the preferred method! I work nights and the night prior to the game I most likely would have been working. I might not have time prior to the game to sit down with you and guide you through every aspect of character creation. I will do my best to help you, and will not leave you high a dry. But understand that I also have to prepare for the game.

Online Activity

Throughout this site you will see a number of different threads and forums. Be keenly aware of the Intermission Threads! For these posts offer PLAYER knowledge of behind the scenes of what is going on in the game. This is posted for your enjoyment and so that you have an idea as a player how the story line is growing. If your character is to take part in an Intermission, I will seek your approval for the post. You are more than welcome to offer suggestions and actions. I offer players editing privileges in regards to what is happening within intermissions where their character is affected. Skill Points or other rewards will be awarded according for character involvement. If a character is involved in an intermission, this knowledge is to be considered Character Knowledge.

If an Intermission is listed as Comstar Interstellar News Broadcast or some other News Broadcast, this information is meant for all characters in the game and is considered character knowledge. Feel free to use it as much as you like. Also some parts of intermissions are listed as speeches, these too are character knowledge. But only those parts that are included in the speech. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Scenes In-Between: Because we only game about twice a month, I have offered the Scenes In-Between Threads. This thread can involve any character active in the game. If you wish to plot with other characters (NPC or PC) create the thread and notify the player(s) accordingly. As the thread grows and the story takes shape, Skill Point Award will be rewarded once the thread has been concluded. Anything that takes place in a Scenes In-Between are considered Character Knowledge and part of the cannon of the game. While the Intermission Threads belong solely to me, the Scenes In-Between Threads belong to the players of the game. Use them as often as you wish. To ensure that a scene is not spied upon by NPC's or PC's, in the title of the thread include the word SECRET: (thread name). This will cause any other character in the game to force a roll spy upon the thread and trigger a chance that the spying character is spotted. Again, these threads are Character Knowledge! If you are caught spying on a secret thread, your character will have to deal with it in the game!

You can use a Scene In-Between Thread also to gather intelligence on something within the game. To make this possible, please include in the title of the thread INTEL REQUEST: (Target Name). These threads will only be known to the character requesting it and those whom the character wishes to share the information with. You have to have a contact or some means to gathering this intelligence report. Do not be mistaken, anyone can offer intelligence reports on just about anything. You can ask a fellow Dropship Captain if they know anything about Clan Jade Falcon. However that doesn't mean they will have your answer. Please make sure to use common sense in who you ask about what. INTEL REQUESTS are designed to help smooth over game play during our limited game times. So please feel free to use them as much as you want.

The Continuing Adventures of Dirsch

Like in some games, players come and players go. As a result of the migration of players out of the game, I was forced to re-invite the main story line. While the main plot line, AKA Dark Tides, will be picked back up at a later date. However the current story line, AKA The Continuing Adventures of Dirsch, is running to bring characters back together in preparation for the main plot line. When Dark Tides began, I gave players and characters an opportunity to work their characters in to a functioning unit before the main plot line took off. However once the main plot line took off, I lost critical players. The good news was that I was able to pick up equal number of critical players and retained two core players. This caused the creation of the The Continuing Adventures of Dirsch.

Information about the main plot line can still be found on the site. Feel free to read over the information as it will become important at a later date.

In Conclusion
I am only the storyteller of this game. This is your (as a community) game, not mine. Take ownership of it. Become involved in it. Post to the site as often as you wish in between the games. Talk to each other via the OCC threads. While Private Messaging is available and not discouraged, I ask that you keep messages in the open so that we all can add our advice and opinions. You never know who might have a bit of information that can help with a larger plan.

Also, feel free to post up your AAR or After Action Reports. These are the private journals, Dairies or thoughts of what your character saw or did. These are the stories of your character. Those stories that other players who come after you will enjoy.

As this is a community effort, I advice and warn you that what you add to the game will become woven in to the game and will grow the game as a whole. For bad or good, we are in this together. So lets work together to create something wonderful and enjoyable for all players.