The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secured Subspace Channel: Dr. Kennard Campbell and Captain Campbell
09-27-2014, 06:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-29-2014, 11:09 AM by Akirapryde.)
Secured Subspace Channel: Dr. Kennard Campbell and Captain Campbell
Secure Channel Open

Stardate: 53834.05
To: Captain Jackson Campbell
USS Thunderchild, Commanding

Federation Relief Effort, Cardassia Prime

From the inside of a shuttle, Dr. Campbell's image appeared. Behind Dr. Campbell and through the rear opened door of the shuttle, the scene of a ruined town or smaller community could be seen. Beyond a few people moving about far from the shuttle, the Doctor is alone within the shuttle. The dirt on his clothes and face told of the hardships that the relief effort was facing on Cardassia Prime. Still, the smile in his face indicated the welcome distraction that came in the form of a call from his son.

"Ah Jackie, how are you doing boy" he said with happiness in his voice. "Sorry it was so hard getting a hold of me. The norther reaches of Cardassia were some of the hardest areas hit near the end of the war. A year later and there are still areas of the planet without clean water, let along power," he explained. He took a second to dust off his clothes, "No one back home really understands that if it had not been for these proud people, the Dominion War could have lasted much longer. The toll that was taken on them is unspeakable. Yeah I know that they were the first Alpha Quadrant allies to the Dominion. But that doesn't change their finally sacrifice to the war effort and the victory that came. I could go on for hours, but something tells me this is not why you want to talk to me. Judging by the way this shuttle appeared at our base camp that you don't want to speak about the work I am doing here. Jackie, you pulled an Admiral's string to speak with me. So what is so important that it can't wait?"
09-28-2014, 10:34 PM,
RE: Secured Subspace Message: Dr. Kennard Campbell and Captain Campbell
Listening to his father Jackson could only smile. He knew how his father felt about helping people, it didn't matter who. If he though he could easy the suffering of the Founders he would have volunteered for that job too. "Hey dad" Jackson said when his father finished.

"Hello, son".

"You know I understand. You being there I mean."

"Ay. You always did, didn't you" He said smiling again. He waited a moment before adding, "Well, What has happened? Is you mother alright?"

Jackson consider the question for a moment. As far he he knew his mother wasn't in trouble, she wasn't even technically missing. It was just that no one knew her current whereabouts. No reason to worry him, Jackson thought, keeping the information to himself. "She's fine Dad. I spoke with her a couple of weeks ago and she seemed like business as usual."

"That's good to hear" his father replied.

"Dad, I know about the MacConnell sisters. I know that I was with them on Earth. Worst, I know that someone stole the memories of my entire childhood from me. Dad, I need to know what the hell is going on before I start to think that I've just started to go mad". Up until now, Jackson had intended to yell those words at his parents, but now with his father in front of him he sound that he had trouble getting the word out at all. Sticking him his throat. He didn't look at his dad while he said this and for a few moments afterwards he only stared at his hands. Finally, he looked up at his old man.
09-29-2014, 11:09 AM,
RE: Secured Subspace Message: Dr. Kennard Campbell and Captain Campbell
Stardate: 53834.05
To: Captain Jackson Campbell
USS Thunderchild, Commanding

Federation Relief Effort, Cardassia Prime

The change in conversation was clearly something that was uneasy to Dr. Campbell as he shifted in his seat, "Son, you are not going mad" he managed to work out as he cleared his voice. It was clear that a long family secret was on the verge of coming out. "If there is one thing you need to remember from all this, it is this. Your mother and I loved you so much that we would not allow anything to happen to you. Son, what I am about to tell you can not be repeated to anyone. There is so much more at stake here than you can imagine."

On that note Dr. Campbell paused as he shifted in his chair once more. "Well hell Jack, I....I knew that this day would come. I had often warned that this day would come. At some point I even welcomed it. Call it, if you will a chance for me to come clean for my sins. It was because of this secret that we didn't want you joining Starfleet. Son, you need to understand that what was done was for Maura, Seona and your sake. Not once was your mother or myself thinking of our own needs. No matter what you might think. Please know that this was done because we loved you so much.

He paused a moment as he thought about where to begin the story. "Well I guess I will begin the story where you need to know it from. Your mother and I had been trying for some time to have a child. Your mother had a genetic disorder that prevented her from carrying a child to term. All we wanted was to have a child to carry on our name. We worked together to correct her disorder. We were both young and arrogant. We thought we controlled the powers of creation, but son this was only an illusion." Captain Campbell knew that his father was a very spiritual man and now the core behind those beliefs were coming to the surface.

"We were about to cross the line from science in to a realm that we had no business involved in. We created a codex that would allow your mother to carry you to term. However a breakout on Trill took me away from her when she would need me the most. If I had known the nightmare that she would be forced to face I would have never left her side. Your mother knew this. This was why she kept the truth from me while I was helping the sick on Trill. When I returned home shortly after your birth, you were so much what we wanted. Damn it son, I was so proud of you. To my surprise, I met Maura also. She was as much your sister as much as she wasn't. It was then your mother explained what had happened."

There as embarrassment on his face as he continued to explain, "I was mad at your mother for what she had kept from me. I was mad because of what she had created and why. She had created a life form simply for the sake of harvesting genomes from it. The genetic disorder that had infected you would kill you without treatment. Maura could fend off the disorder but she was not immune to its effects either. There were so many times, I thought Maura and you would die from the disorder. Your mother never lost hope in you two. God son, looking back on those times. I remember how your mother would hold Maura and sing to her. You were our son and Maura was her daughter. There were moments when I would sit by the window looking in and watched you three. Your mother would be lost in some latest paper on genetic disorder while you and Maura would be playing by the fire."

"At the time, I never really understood how much you two really meant to your mother. How much she had given up for you two. When we were living on Earth, she gave up her work, her career and her friends just to continue the research to cure your disorder. With Maura this bought your mother time to cure both of you. She poured her heart and soul in to finding a cure for this horrible disorder that threatened both of you. For the first five yeas son, your mother gave up everything for you two."

His face twisted with feelings that has taken him years to cope with. "I never forgave your mother for what she had to do that saved your life. Maura was create knowing that she would suffer through the harvesting of her own genome. But I can't deny the fact that you are alive become of what your mother did. You are here today because of her undying love for you. Never forget that son, her love for you made this remarkable thing happen. Back then, I was filled with anger on the point of hatred for her. But today, I admit I was wrong. And I wont take that away from her. She saved your life."

He took in a deep breath, "as the years dragged on, your mother worked harder than I have ever seen her work before or since. Twelve hour days were light days for her son. As I said, Maura bought you time but didn't cure the disorder. The harvesting only kept the monster at bay. Now there were two lives at stake and I wouldn't allow your mother to forget this fact. The fights we had always turned to this. I would make every attempt to throw it back in her face that she created a life for the sake of making it suffer."

The pain in his eyes told the truth of what he was saying. The kind of pain that came from finally accepting when a person was wrong on every level. "Looking back son, I was wrong. I was wrong in all that I did and for the pressure I put on her. I never really understood how much pressure she was under at the time. I was not the man I should have been. There were times I wanted to report both of us to Starfleet Medical and let the chips fall where they would. But I didn't son. Cause I knew that would be a death sentence to you and most likely Maura as well. As much as I hated it, your mother had to continue her work. The secret in saving both of your lives rested in her mind."

He leaned back in his chair as he got more comfortable within the conversation. While his body might be at rest, Captain Campbell knew that his father's soul was in turmoil as this family secret still had much more to come forward. "As it would, fate would intervene when a person crosses a line. In this case, a close personal friend and colleague of your mother made an unannounced visit to our home. God, you and Maura were just a young children and didn't know any better. She answered the door with you. When asked, she said that she was your brother. We had over looked something so simple as a record of birth. I told you son, we were arrogant and now fate was about to show us our place."

"We had explained that she was only confused and that she was a daughter of a close personal friend. But he was always to much the skeptic. When he returned to work after that visit, he started to do some digging and discovered our secret. Your mother and I knew that it was only a matter of time till the authorities came knocking on our door. Once more my anger was leveled at your mother for creating all of this. She should have never temped the powers of the universe. If I had only known what monster would walk in to our door next, I would have turned us in that night."

"I had a old phaser ready and had planned on giving my life so that your mother, you and Maura could escape. Don't think my actions were noble son. They were the actions of a coward. Dying like that only meant leaving your mother to answer for her actions alone. It would deny you and Maura the father you deserved. Fate however had other plans for us, son. The following morning before we could act on my plan, a Vulcan came to visit. His name was L'Tus and claimed to be an Admiral with Starfleet but we knew differently. We suspected that he was from the authorities, maybe even Federation Intelligence. We had expected to be arrested that morning."

"If we only knew what fate had in mind for us. You see son, I truly believe that L'Tus is the devil and with his kind helping hand came a lifetime of service to his masters. He told us that the authorities were only hours away and that our freedom was about to come to an end. It was only a matter of time before you and Maura would both be dead from the disorder. He seemed to know everything about us and what was going on. He assured us that Starfleet Medical would do their best to save you two but that it was unlikely they would be able to. I remember that morning like it was yesterday. I held your mother tightly as I knew that she had no care for our fates. She only feared for you and Maura. She had done so much to save your life up to this point. L'Tus offered us a way out."

"He said that if we worked for him that his people would make all this go away. That he would be able to give your mother access to research material that she could use to save your life. See he told us that they had been watching us for a distance for some time. They knew about you and Maura and your remarkable birth. Your mother didn't care the cost, the idea of being able to save your life was more than enough to for her to join with this monster."

"I was skeptical and asked what would come of your mother's friend. He assured me that no one would be harmed from this. I didn't trust the man, and I shouldn't have. But what choice did we have. We knew the men and women at Starfleet Medical. Hell, I trained some of them. They were all smart but didn't have the kind of mind your mother had. Sure they would do what ever they could to save your life, but we both knew that they would fail. Son what choice did we have? Make a deal with the Devil or watch you suffer and die within a year's time. No, son I don't fault your mother for this." Tears welled up in his eyes, "I couldn't condemn you to death either. So I agreed."

The tears slowly retreated as he continued his story, "the authorities never showed up and your mother was allowed to continue her work. There were tasks that he would come to us with. Samples to take apart, things to create. While Starfleet were just looking at what made the Borg Hive Mind work, your mother and I had already unlocked the secrets with their nanoprobe technology. We had become puppets to a demonic master. This was the price for our freedom, Scientific research for them. But that would not be the limit of our debt to these devils. I wont take this away from the devil, his organization had untold resources. I never could have imagined what they were capable of till your mother went to L'Tus for help about your disorder."

"Your mother couldn't solve the problem of a stable genome that could resist the disorder. Maura was getting worse and your treatments were taking a toll on her young body. You were needing more and more treatments. It was only a matter of time before the treatments would not have any effect on you. This was just a matter of fact that you were going to die. Your mother begged L'Tus to help her. To allow her access to something that could help. Months later, L'Tus gave your mother a gift. A genetic sample from the Federation Science vault. Just having it outside of the Vault was a crime unto its self. A sample that we never knew even existed before that moment. But it held all the answers that your mother needed. It didn't take long for us to realize that it was the genome of an augment. The genome was so aggressive that it was able to actually destroy the disorder in both of you and Maura. However it had to be harvested from another living being. Much like Maura was helping you survive to this day."

He nodded noting that Captain Campbell knew what was coming next, "Yes, Seona was created to be this method of harvesting. But she was so much more than just that. The augment genome in her guided her development. It unlocked so much in Maura and even in you. It wasn't long till you started to demonstrate remarkable strategic abilities. Before the treatment you could never beat me at chess. Now you couldn't be stopped. Maura's mind exploded with powers. I won't lie, I was worried over what we had created in you three."

"Seona was more augment than you and Maura were but by rule of law each of you were augments. And we were reaching a point where we couldn't hide it. L'Tus made sure that these fact was concealed and finally you were free from the disorder. But we would never be free from L'Tus or his masters. We continued to work for L'Tus conducting research for his Masters. We moved from Earth at L'Tus instructions after Seona's development was becoming harder to hide. L'Tus moved Seona to a secure facility where she could be raised safely and her augment genome would not become a threat to those around her. Maura would stay with a close friend of mine where L'Tus people could keep a close eye on her. You, your mother and I were moved to Mars."

"The move broke your heart. I never realized the telepathic connection that you and Maura had till you ran away. I guess I should have known better. You and Maura were always so close. She was everything to you. You even took my Grandmother's ring and gave it to her. You wanted to make her your wife and she wanted nothing less then to be yours. For as much as she had your heart, you had hers. I think if we had not intervined, you two would have lived a happy life back in Scotland. But once more Fate stepped in."

"In running away, you tripped a sensor at London. Before we knew about it, Starfleet Security were on the trail of a unidentified human augment. It was L'Tus' people who found you first and made sure that you made it to Father Douglas safely. However there were deaths involved that you were unaware of. A pair of Starfleet Security Officers were on your trail. L'Tus told us that his people had little choice than to kill them both. The whole situation was a mess. Despite assurances that this would be covered up, I couldn't help but feel as if those deaths were my fault. Maybe if I had fought the move more. I don't know."

"It was decided that the girls would remain separated and your memories would be alerted. L'Tus provided us with the means to do this. However, the alerted memories on Maura and Seona didn't stick. There were fears that yours would not stick either. I guess they didn't, did they?" While it was a question, he didn't pause long enough for Captain Campbell to answer.

"But I would not allow the girls to be cut completely from our lives. I demanded that I be allowed to keep in contact with them. They need a father and I loved them son. As much as I loved you. As much as you are my son." The emotions were pure as he spoke, "They were my daughters and I don't regret them. I couldn't abandon them. Again son, a deal with the devil has its price and my would come much later."

"During the years that followed, I remained close to Maura and her sister. I wont lie, it was hard. They had questions that I could never answer truthfully. They asked about you and your mother. I did my best to keep them informed. They never forgot about their mother or you. Maura couldn't understand why you turned your back on her. I tried to explain without telling the truth but she couldn't understand. I don't blame her for not understanding. How could she son? She loved you."

"Time passed and we did all we could to keep you three from Starfleet. But you and Maura were drawn to it like a moths to the flame. We had our concerns but L'Tus made sure that nothing would stand in the way of your careers. He said that this was actually good for both of you."

He rested his face in his hands, "this was such a mess that we created." He paused a moment before continuing. He took in a deep breath as he lifted his head, "When Maura wanted to follow you in to Starfleet, I was instructed to convince her to go in to the Marines. That this would be safer for both of you. Like a good puppet, I did as I was told. Shortly after that, I learned of how sad Seona was. The child that was forgotten in a world of luxury. She had everything her heart desired but her family. While I couldn't reunite you with Maura, I decided to reunite the sisters. Working that close with the Devil of Secrecy, I learned a thing or two. During my visits, I started to hatch my plan to free her from that secret research center."

"I didn't care the cost to me any more. It was the least I could do for them. God, I loved you three so much. I remember teaching Seona how to ride a horse. Teaching you how to play chess. Teaching Maura how to fish and camp. I was powerless to help you, but I could reunite the sisters once more. I managed to get Seona out of the Estate. I had only moments before they would realize what happened. I handed her off to Father Douglas and made her promise to never tell anyone who helped her escape." he laughed a bit, "Poor Father Douglas thought he was the one who solely helped her escape. But in truth he only helped her. But if not for me, she would have never escaped."

"I watched her walk in to the church when L'Tus caught up to me. By that time, there was nothing he could do to change the situation. Seona would safely be on her way to her sister." He laughed more as he continued, "Oh how L'Tus was upset. I think his green blood was actually boiling at that point. He told me that he was very disappointed in my actions. He accepted the situation for what it was and told me that there was more at risk and that I was needed. Son, I thought I was dead that day. But I guess I was more valuable to them than I suspected. They couldn't afford to make me disappear like the others who failed them." His voice lowered as the dark joke came to mind. There were clearly darker memories linked to that joke than he was willing to admit.

He paused a moment as he looked down, "as the Dominion threat loomed over the Federation, your mother and I were brought before L'Tus to help them deal with this threat. I joked at them as I asked what could a pair of scientists do against the might of the Dominion. It was then that we noticed the list of names who would be part of our team. L'Tus and his masters wanted us to create a morphogenic virus."

"It went directly against to everything we both stood for. But what choice did we have. We helped them." Once more the tears welled up, "God we helped them create a weapon that would murder an entire people." This time the tears made their way down the wrinkled face of Doctor Campbell. Regardless of his actions, the guilt was clear in his eyes. "We loved you three, but your mother and I were not mass murders. Not before that day."

The toll of the memory was more than enough to break his train of thought, "This was the cost son. This was the cost for their help in saving your life. We were told to help create this weapon. If we didn't help them, then our secret would become known. Each of you would see an end to your careers at the very least. At the worse, all of you would be locked up for being augments serving in Starfleet. I am sorry son but we didn't have a choice but to help them. I told you son, the kind helping hand of the devil comes with a life time of servitude. Never forget this son. There is no dealing with the Devil on equal terms." He looked down and uttered, "I am sorry son for failing to be the man I should have been so long ago." The tears continued to wash down his face as he ended his statement.
10-03-2014, 12:43 AM,
RE: Secured Subspace Channel: Dr. Kennard Campbell and Captain Campbell
His fingers dug into his knees, his knuckles threatening to tear at his skin. It should have hurt, his fingers digging into the skin around his knees, it should have at least been noticeable. Instead his mind raced at speeds that made remembering his body impossible. There was to much information to process. How could be even begin to make sense of what he was learning? This is crazy, it isn't possible he told himself but he knew it was a lie.

He tried to make sense of it. Of Maura or Seona. I fell in love with my sister? he thought to himself, that's a little strange. For a moment Jackson was amused that this was his first thought. Unfortunately, it was the only clear though he would have for several moments. It was as if for some strange amount of time only the words flashed across his him, no definition or context, just the words. Created, link, Khan, mass murders, genocide, sister, L'Tus, virus, death... The words just poured into him. Eventually he began to process them and they finally began to make sense.

He looked up to see his father and suddenly realized he did not know this man on the video screen. Honor may be something that Klingon's made sacred but that did not mean that it was not admired among the human race and this man had none. A coward who justifies the most horrific crimes with the excuse that he did all of it for love. The weakness of this man would have been laughable if not for the seriousness of his crimes. He looked at his father. Searched his mind for words to say. He tried to find some shred for light that could have one day grown into forgiveness or understanding. His father said that he was wrong for not believing in Jackson's mother but he was wasn't. He should have put a stop to what they were doing when he first discovered Maura. Youth and arrogance did not excuse what they had done.

As he watched his father weep into the monitor and he lost the last of his feelings for this man, he had nothing to say.

He ended the transmission