The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Home 2/21/22
05-07-2022, 05:28 PM,
Going Home 2/21/22
Durro Thel-Tanis — 02/21/2022
Durro sees Tesara at the top of the Gungnir's ramp as it lowers. Had she been staring at it the whole time, just waiting? Or had she sensed to be here. He glanced back to where Hadaza and Ashanti were talking. Let the midagers work out their differences. He resists the urge to roll his eyes; he will never understand women, or their drama.

"Tesara; just the person I wanted to see. I thought you might like to return to the Market; I have an errand to run and thought you might show me the necklace you mentioned while we're there."
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara Anerin — 02/21/2022
Tesara notes him coming.  “Yes, I went looking for Astra and did not find her. I leapt to the conclusion that Ashanti had joined you.”  She says with a hint of annoyance.  “No ship?” She asks.  “And yes, another visit to the market would be good. I would really like your input on the necklace.”
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"Fantastic. I'd like Hadaza and Astra to join us, if that's alright."

As if on cue, he hears Ashanti's voice ringing across the concourse:

"Master, it's such a pleasant day; if you don't mind, I would like to go shopping."

Only Tesara can see Durro roll his eyes.

"Must it be her?" He almost whispers to Tesara. "Astra would be more pleasant company."
@Tesara Anerin
@Haj
@TheTraveler
"Astra allowed Ashanti to take control else she wouldn't be here.  She may pick up on things we don't."  She said simply.  "She saved Astra's life.  I owe her."  She says quietly.
"Does that apply to the trip to the market?" He asks quietly. "Should I ask her to return Astra, or do we go shopping with Ashanti?"

(((After her answer is when the others arrive. Trying to figure out who is using Astra's body. lol)))
@Tesara Anerin
@Haj
@TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
Ashanti, unaware of the conversation stands away from the ramp. Her attention drawn away from the ship and towards the city beyond the spaceport. She just stands there and patiently waits for her answer.
((OOC my mistake, j missed that))
Haj — 02/21/2022
Hadaza walks slowly up to Gungnir. Her posture is thoughtful, introspective, distracted, as though playing a memory over and over in her mind, trying to turn it to see angles that were previously hidden. There is a quietness about her that they are unused to seeing, though they can almost see her mind moving rapidly as she puts herself through each revolution and revelation. She walks into Durro and Tesara as a result.

As she bumps them, she loses her balance, also anomalous for the otherwise graceful tumbler. She holds out her arms to Durro to have him help steady her from falling off the ramp.

"Sorry! I'm so sorry! It's my fault! I was absolutely not watching where I was going!"
@Durro Thel-Tanis @Tesara Anerin @TheTraveler
Durro reaches out and catches her arm, holding her steady.

"We're going back to the Market for a time; you're welcome to join us."

Having missed Tesara's answer, he turns to Ashanti.

"I was going to invite Astra, but you seem to have invited yourself. I'd ask at least that you allow Astra to observe and be aware of what's going on, and pass on her messages to us. Is that agreeable?"
@Tesara Anerin
@TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
Ashanti frowned at Durro’s comments and wonders how he missed what she had said. Her anger was forced down as she bit her tongue once more. She couldn't allow herself to lash out. Once more she drew in a few calming breaths and decided that he must have just misheard her.

"Master,"she said speaking a bit louder and slower to ensure he didn't misunderstand her this time. "I would like to go to the market," she paused to draw attention to the word, "alone."

She felt anger welling up, as if she had to ask his permission for such a thing. It was utterly unacceptable. Drawing in deep breaths she fought for control. The kind of control that Astra seems to have Mastered in times like this. She added her final word, "Please....."

@Tesara Anerin @Durro Thel-Tanis @Haj
Seeing the look play out across her face, Durro centers himself and answers calmly.

"I misunderstood your question; as Tesara and I were going to the Market ourselves. You're free to wander as you see fit; assuming Astra has agreed to this, you're both grown women. Please be back by nightfall, as we should be ready to depart this world."

Looking to Hadaza and Tesara he asks;

"Hadaza, do you wish to join us? I'd suggest you both wear or bring clothes you don't mind getting wet."
@TheTraveler
@Haj
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara says nothing as Durro says Ashanti can wander at will.  Astra and the others are still in there.  She has faith that everything will be all right.  But his statement about the wet clothing surprises her.  "Why?"  She sort of blurts out.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Haj — 02/21/2022
Still holding lightly to Durro's arm from when he caught her, she says, "Thank you, no, not today. I have other things that require my attention right now."

Hadaza walks up the gangplank, leaning in to kiss both Durro and Tesara on the cheek as she passes. "Have a wonderful day, guys."
(((ooc - Haj leaves the crew to go shopping without her)))
Tesara reaches out to take Hadaza's hand and squeezes it.  She whispers "I'm really proud of you."
Durro watches after them, then turns to Tesara.

"Just us, then. Is there anything you need to grab before we head out?"
@Tesara Anerin
She looks down at herself.  She's wearing the uniform provided by the Professor.  "Why would we get wet?"  @Durro Thel-Tanis
He gives her a sly smile.

"If I told you, it'd ruin the surprise."

"If you're ready, we can get going."

He turns to cross the concourse, trusting Tesara to raise the ramp behind them.
@Tesara Anerin
She makes a face and then pulls his shirt before he can get much further.  "Give me five minutes."  She runs back to her room, grabs another uniform and a towel and shoves them in her bag, muttering to herself about what else she might need with so little information.  Tesara doesn't like surprises.  She returns five minutes later.  "OK now I am ready."
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Looking entirely too pleased with himself (though he tries to hide it), Durro leads them to the Market Center.

As they enter the controlled chaos of merchandise and money changing hands, Durro asks:

"So where was this necklace? Then we'll go on to my surprise."
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara glances around, looking for the seller she spoke to the day before.  It takes her a little bit to find it because the market is so huge, but about 10 minutes later she locates it.  "There."  She says to Durro.
@Durro Thel-Tanis @TheTraveler
(((Durro is following, so I will let @TheTraveler set the scene.)))
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
The old woman walked forward and smiled when she saw Tesara at the table, “I knew you would be back.” She said with a broad smiled, “I was just speaking to a trader who was very interested in your necklace. But I told him, it was already on reserve.” She motioned to the necklace in the case, “Shall I put it in a box for you.” She then turned to Durro, “your daughter so loves this necklace, and I promise its one of a kind.”

She laughed, “a thousand three hundred Nerari is a steal for such beauty.” She gave a wink, “your daughter is surely worth a thousand three hundred.”

@Tesara Anerin @Durro Thel-Tanis
Tesara pins a blank smile on her face and says nothing.  Durro wanted to return here for the necklace and so he would be taking point here.  She would remain silent until he asked her something.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"Surely you jest!" Durro says with (mock) shock, "Inflation must be hitting this region hard. My wage's haven't been affected though; so best I can do is 500."

(((Also, does Durro recognize it, or have the chance to?)))
@TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
The woman said with a frown, "prices have been going up since the destruction of the Pathfinder Concourse on Csilla."

She pulled the item from the case, "But you look like a fine father, I know you can do better for your daughter. This would look so lovely when she gets wed."

She thinks for a moment, "1,200.," she keeps the item well out of arms reach.

@Tesara Anerin @Durro Thel-Tanis
"It would; she would also look lovely with food in her belly and a roof over her head. 600."

Mentally, to Tesara he says; "I've got at most 500 of the local currency. I hope we can pool our resources. Though I don't have to buy it, simply hold it for a moment."
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
She sends him a message in return.  "Play along"

She slides towards the woman.  "Daddy please can't I just put it on?  You'll see it's worth the money!"  She said in a trilling, NOT-Tesara voice.  "You can clasp it on!" She turns, lifts her hair and presents the back of her neck to him.  It will give him a chance to hold it for a moment.

@Durro Thel-Tanis
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
((OOC: Tesara please roll Diplomacy))
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
The old woman smiled, "but of course, let the lovely bride to be try it on." She hands Durro the necklace.

In the back of Durro's mind, he could hear an almost familiar voice lost to his memory. 'it's beautiful,' she said softly looking down at the necklace around her neck. she turned to face him.

A face Durro would never forget. The man who nearly killed him so many years ago. Jedi Master Hunter Urias Chun.

"Well," the old woman said with a pleasant voice, "put it on her. You will see, she is worth every last 1,150 Nerari."

@Durro Thel-Tanis @Tesara Anerin
Tesara waits, knowing to interrupt now would be foolish.  She stands there in the sunlight, waiting for the necklace to be put on or put back.  If Durro can get a read on it, they don't need to haggle any longer.  She'll act petulant and they will walk away.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
((So many years meaning 2.5 lol))
(((Does Durro recognize the woman's voice? (Is it the woman who saved him from Chun?) Does he get anything else from it?)))
@TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
(OOC: for that short moment that is all he gets, but I am sure he (you) can guess who it is.)
(((Maybe not, I cannot seem to find my notes on Chun. They may be on my old PC, but I cannot find them on my new one.)))

Durro takes his time putting it on, pretending to fumble with the clasp. He turns walks around her to inspect the result.

"You do look lovely, sweetheart. For 650, I can see you at the altar with it around your neck; your cheeks flush and your husband-to-be trying to remember his lines."

He grins impishly at the shopkeeper and winks.
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara beams stupidly at him.  "Is this the one?  Or should we go to that other place that had that other gorgeous necklace?"  She asks, blinking at him.
@Durro Thel-Tanis @TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
The woman smiled fondly at Tesara and Durro, "I will tell you, I can go as low as 1000, you will have to come up to meet me."

She frowned, "or you will have to get your lovely daughter a lesser necklace for her once in a life time event."

"A thousand shouldn't be too much of a problem for, a wealth Edgelord!"

Durro grins at Tesara and says in Basic:

"Ah, she's heard of us!"

In Sy Bisti he adds to the shopkeeper;

"I'm sure the other trader can pay more than I can; even Edgelords can't keep up with inflation. If it was 750... Ah well. Come daughter, I told you I had a good feeling about the other piece. They at least agreed to 700."

He removes the necklace, taking his time, and takes his time handing it carefully back to the shopkeeper.

(((Trying to get as much time as he can to 'analyze' it.)))
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara pouts prettily.  “But it’s so lovely!  See?”  She takes hold of it very carefully to pretend to show him a particular gem.
Anything?

@Durro Thel-Tanis
TheTraveler — 02/21/2022
The woman let out a long sigh, "For you, a mighty Edgelord, I will give you that very rare necklace that was once worn by another Edgelord for 750 Nerari."

She reached over and picked up a small box, "come now let me place that in a box to protect it." She held her two hands out for the necklace and the money.

Durro returns the necklace and pays the shopkeeper. Once the box is handed over, he puts it gently in his bag. He bows the Jedi bow of respect; despite not being dressed as a Jedi.

"Thank you, it was a genuine pleasure doing business with you."

"I said we did not need it, but since we have it I can study it at my leisure."

He turns to Tesara.

"Come Daughter, let's celebrate! I know this lovely noodle shop in the food area..."

Turning, he leaves the woman's shop and returns to the market.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara grins once she is out of sight of the shopkeeper.  “That was sneaky.  Did you enjoy my performance?” She says, flipping her hair perfectly.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"I did." Durro says, grinning back. "And we got a beautiful necklace out of it. I'll make sure you have it to wear when we get back and you see Colonel Pacey again."

He gestures towards another area of the market.

"Now, for my surprise. Unless you really want food first."
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara feels a rush of pure joy at the idea of wearing it when she returns to Jack.  “Thank you, Durro.  That’s incredibly kind.  I might wear it on my wedding day after all.”  She is beaming genuinely now.  “I’m  really curious to hear what you sensed, but likely you won’t be able to do that until we get back to the ship. And as for my surprise…” she blinks.  “That wasn’t it?”
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"No, it wasn't." He said with a smile. "This way."

He leads them to another large stall at the edge of the market area. A man about Durro's age came out to meet them.

"Captain Awesome, you son of a Kleldaak; you actually came." He said in Sy Bisti. "I was hoping you'd forgotten."

"I never forget." Durro says with a grin; "I'm like a Rancor."

"I don't know what a rancor is." The man says. "But I'll be glad to pay my debt. A wagon, as you thought?"

"Just two mounts; my party is smaller than expected." Durro says.

The man shouts to another, younger man nearby. He comes out leading two cat-like creatures the size of horses, with long pointed ears and wide eyes that took in everything. Their long tails swish energetically through the air; saddles on their backs with reigns hooked for when the riders mounted.

The mounts lay low to the ground at the man's command; very well behaved.

"Can I help you up, love?" He says to Tesara, holding out his hand.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara‘s mouth falls open in utter shock.  She stares openly at the creatures.  They’re stunning.  She nods wordlessly and takes his hand, too blown away to speak.  Within a moment she is astride the beast and her heart is slamming in her chest.  “What… how…” she tries to articulate words but they’re failing her.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"Don't play cards with your father." The man says with a wink.

Durro mounts his ride as well, and the man runs them through the commands they would need and how to guide them properly. Once that was done, the pair took off, their lightning-fast mounts taking them at a pace that would match any horse out of the city and into the wilderness beyond.

After less than an hour, they come to a dense forest, well-lit by the sun high in the sky, the light filtering through the redish-gold leaves. Their mounts weave gracefully through the trees, until the unmistakable sound of running water can be heard.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara wishes she could scream to let out the joy she feels but she’s not sure if it would spook them.  Instead she takes little gasps of air to release it all.  When they slow down she is able to see their surroundings better.  The sound that hits her feels like a thousand flying birds pounding in her ears.  A river?.  She closes her eyes to take in the scent in the air.

@Durro Thel-Tanis
As they approach, they see the river; so much like the one left behind on Lanus. It rushes along, bird song ringing through the trees, the air still with dust motes hanging in the air, illuminated by the sun's rays beaming through the trees. The earth smells of mud, and decay, and overwhelming life.

"This isn't even the best part." Durro says with a smile. "Follow the river upstream."

He steers his mount to follow his own instruction, following the river as it curves and bends, until after a seemingly short time they come into a clearing with an alien yet familiar village on the river's bank. The shore is dotted by natives doing work in the water while children run and play nearby. A few men with spears keep watch, and other villagers tend to animals and small gardens. A few look up and notice the newcomers, two men with spears and a third unarmed woman come to greet them.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara Anerin — 02/22/2022
Tesara is overwhelmed.  The scents, the sun, the water-heavy air is throwing her back to her childhood with such intensity that she literally is crying.  She wipes away the tears and watches as they approach.  She dismounts and comes to stand beside them, watching these people that live the very life she lived for so very long.  She wants to see everything, learn everything, throw herself into the river and forget her worries for a while.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Durro Thel-Tanis — 02/22/2022
The lady approaches and speaks in slow, enunciated Sy Bisti, very much like their own.

"Greetings, weary friends. My spirit is Rai, through Koki. Who are your spirits?"

Durro, who had also dismounted, steps forward.

"I'm Durro Thel-Tanis, and this is Tesara Anerin. We'd like to avail ourselves of the River, if we may."

"Of course." The woman says, bowing. Turning to the others, she speaks in their tongue (only Tesara can understand)

"Yutani, Kyoya, take their Ny'dekks. Feed and water them."

To Durro she says in Sy Bisti, "Your Ny'dekks will be cared for. The Spirit of the River welcomes you. If you need anything, just ask. Only know that only a few of us speak the language of friends."

"Thank you." Durro says, bowing respectfully.
@Tesara Anerin
"Thank you so much."  Tesara says, her throat tight with emotions.  Then in Basic, she speaks to Durro.  "Thank you for finding this place.  How did you do it?  We've only been here two days!"  She looks around again in amazement.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"I hit the pubs and cantinas last night, looking for friends, money, and information. I won a map that showed the surrounding area; the former owner told me about this village and how friendly they are. Made it sound like home, so I determined to bring you and visit."

Durro is beaming, and looks truly at peace.

"Shall we head for the river?" He asks, gesturing.
@Tesara Anerin
"Yes!"  She says enthusiastically.  She begins walking briskly towards the river, practically glowing with excitement.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
They both remove their boots and socks and roll up their pants before moving into the river.

They are not in the water long before the people working are offering to show them which plants they are harvesting, and how to check their traps for small fish and crustaceans.

Both Durro and Tesara are receptive, helping the workers for an hour and enjoying the flow of the river around them.

As they finish up, an older man and a younger girl can be seen getting water, and pouring it into skin bags. Durro begins making his way over to them, curious.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara follows, feeling like she has been working out for many hours and realizing she has let herself get soft in the almost two years since leaving her home.
Did I really just think I'm old at 21?  She grins to herself.  She's soaked but happier than she has been in a very long time.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
As they approach the older man looks up and sees them coming.

"Hello there!" Durro calls in greeting. "Lovely day!"

In his native tongue, Tesara can understand him say;

"I don't speak the language of friends. Girl! Come translate for me."

The little girl rushes to the man's side. She speaks in Sy Bisti.

"My spirit is Shoko, through Ara. This is Natsu, through Amai, our hi'raa. We welcome you, honored friends."

The Hi'raa nods as though he understands.
@Tesara Anerin
"Thank you for that welcome to your beautiful home, little one."  Tesara says in Sy Bisti.  "We're honored to be here.  I grew up in a village very much like this."
@Durro Thel-Tanis
The girl translates Tesara's sentence back to the old man.

"Ask them about their spirits." The old man replies, smiling at Tesara.

The girl translates the question:

"Natsu wishes to know your spirits, and their guides."

Durro glances at Tesara, awaiting her reply.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara considers this for a moment.  She had been taught to listen to (and more rarely see) the spirits, but one had never made itself known to be hers.  She holds her hands in the open position (same as she did for Durro the other day) and smiles.  "Where I come from, I could hear and sometimes see them, but none ever made itself known to be mine.  That sounds lovely though."
@Durro Thel-Tanis
The old man smiles when the girl translates.

"Everyone has a spirit; is a spirit." he says gently. "The spirits live around us; in the river, in the fire, in the earth, and in the storms. When they wish to experience life they craft themselves vessels with which to interact with the world." He gestures to himself, and the girl, and Durro and Tesara. "I am Natsu, living through Amai. Given time, I could determine your spirit, and even the realm from which it comes."

Durro listens intently, though he cannot understand. He looks thoughtful as the girl translates. In Basic he says to Tesara;

"It sounds very much like how we view the Force; the Cosmic and the Living Force." To the girl he asks in Sy Bisti; "How would you determine our spirits?"
@Tesara Anerin
Given time  She thinks, and the first hints of sorrow hit her.  She likely won't be able to stay long enough to get that answer, enticing as it is.  She pushes the thought away, determined to enjoy what she DOES have rather than what she will miss out on.  "Yes, very much like our Force.  But then we knew the same thing when I explained the trainings of my family and the Yilsaani."  She smiles at him.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"I've already started." The old man says. "I observed you at the river, and I'll observe you at the evening meal. By the time the sun sets; I should know your spirit."

The girl translates while the old man smiles knowingly. When she finishes, he adds;

"Though you can tell me your guide's names; those aren't hidden."

The girl translates, and Durro answers.

"I'm Durro, and I'd be interested to learn about my spirit."

The girl translates his reply to the old man.
@Tesara Anerin
Another wave of amazement hits her and any sorrow she felt vanishes.  "You can tell within such a short amount of time?  And you can tell me its name?  I would be so very honored and grateful for such a gift!"  She says excitedly.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"Most of the time, I can tell when a child is born." the man says in response to the translation. "Come and see me after the meal. I'll have your answer then."

The girl translates, then the two of them bow and take their now-full water skins back towards the hi'raa's hut.

"Well now, that sounds interesting." Durro says with a smile. "We know they're not Force-sensitive, I can feel that. I wonder how much he can tell about us by just observing."
@Tesara Anerin
She nods.  "Everything here is so genuine, and easy.  I hope it always stays that way, and that they never have to deal with war or the swarm.  It makes what we're doing so much more important to me.  If I didn't have Jack...."  She trails off.  "I'd consider returning here.  But I DO have Jack, and a whole life waiting for me on Baklid.  I love this so much, Durro.  Thank you times a hundred!"
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"I knew you'd appreciate it." Durro says with a grin. "It's good to see you this happy."

As they walk through the village Durro asks quietly in Lanusian:

"Did you mean it? That without Colonel Pacey you'd settle here?"
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara smiles a little.  "If I didn't have anything to return to, no family or friends then yes, this would be a lovely place to live out my days."  She turns and looks at him.  "But I do.  I do have friends and people I call family back there.  Whether it's on Baklid or somewhere else, I do."
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Durro smiles a little as well.

"It's hard to leave, I know."

He takes a deep breath and continues.

"I know you and the others are worried; have seen some of the damage I've done. It's why I asked you how much you can leave behind and still be a Jedi..."

He stops and walks in silence for a few steps.

"...I'm considering leaving that life behind. I failed as a Jedi, failed one of the few truly core tenants of the Jedi Code. And I know what you'll say; we all make mistakes, but this is one mistake I don't regret making. It made me realize that I'm not fit to be a Jedi, by my own standards that I told to Astra. Though that also means I failed Master Marr, the thousand generations who came before, and the thousand who could've come after."

His voice grows softer as he speaks, and by the end he nearly cannot finish. A pair of children rush by, laughing merrily.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara waits, knowing the huge struggle happening within him.  She has thoughts, but she knows he isn't finished.  She is grateful for the sunshine, the warmth and the joyous surroundings.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Outside the village, atop a small hill that overlooks the river, Durro sits heavily down on a large boulder.

"You asked what happened in the Labyrinth. When I was separated from Astra I found myself a padawan again, on Felucia, mere hours before Order 66 and the extermination of the Jedi. I was apparently being trained by Master Tiplee, my late master's twin sister. I still had all of my memories; I knew everything about to happen. I wasn't sure how much I could change, so I did my best to alert Master Tiplee, to warn her not to trust the clones without tipping my hand but it did not good. I only knew the order had gone out when I woke up and clones had surrounded and fired into her tent at our campsite. I snuck to a fighter and escaped into hyperspace."

"I knew about the rebellion from my research after we met Captain Ohnaka on Rhen Var. My first thought was to seek out Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan, to join the fight against the empire and to destroy the Sith. Then I immediately thought that over the next few months the Empire would be relentlessly hunting down the remaining Jedi and I thought I'd be no good to anyone if I died by Vader's blade. So I ran... to Lanus."

"Since a cruiser hadn't blown up in the atmosphere there was no demon, or demon's curse; though since I knew Lanusian I was welcomed into the tribe and allowed to live with them. Tarrison's Mentor; the Yilsaani, didn't die protecting the village. Tarrison become a wise and powerful Yilsaani, who chose young Tesara Anerin as his successor; since despite the lack of destruction she was still the only child her age who could hear the spirits. I saw your birth, but since I was not the demon of the Jungle I was not allowed to train you as a Jedi. I still taught you what I could get away with and made myself a close friend of the family."

He smiles wistfully, a single tear on his cheek.

"I went with you and your family on your first hunt. I listened in on some of your lessons. Your Grandmother loved me as she did in reality; treated me like a son and looked out for me. I comforted you after her passing and then, finally, watched you get betrothed and prepare to be wed."

"My ship was still functional, in low-power mode. My datapad died years ago, but I knew your age compared to the standard galactic calendar. When you were 19, I felt a great disturbance in the Force; as if a million voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I knew Alderaan had been destroyed. When you were 23, I felt a shift in the balance of the Force: The Rebellion had won a major victory and inspired countless beings to rise up against tyranny. When you were 24, days before your wedding, I felt another great disturbance: The death of the Emperor and Darth Vader, a massive victory for the rebellion. A few hours later, you told me my ship was making a funny noise. It had picked up a message being broadcast across the galaxy for everyone to hear: Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight, was starting a new Jedi Order and was calling all surviving Jedi out of hiding to help him. I nearly went, but decided to stay. To stay for your wedding and... another reason. Though I just as quickly realized it was a trap. An illusion. Astra was still in the Labyrinth and needed me; so I fled into the Jungle until I finally woke up. Returned to Astra and to the living."

He sits in shamed silence for a long moment.

"Do you see it? Do you see how I failed as a Jedi?"
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara listens, all the while growing more and more surprised at what he was saying.  She kept silent, her hands open to listen.  She could see the immense weight on his shoulders, settling in more and more as he spoke.  That he had done all this in the space of three days but had lived an entire lifetime within the labyrinth on her homeworld, with her family and HER - just a different version of her....it was a lot to take in.  She pondered his question when he was done.  "Pinpoint exactly for me where you believe you failed as a Jedi."  She asked.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Durro gives a short, bitter laugh.

"A Jedi lives to serve balance; to fight the forces of corruption and chaos. We are the universe's immune system against the disease of the Sith, and anyone else who seeks to dominate, to possess; to break the Force to do their selfish will. A Jedi would have fought the Empire, and if they died by Vader's blade they would have died doing what's right. Doing what a Jedi lives and sometimes dies to do. I was afraid, and so I ran. I sought refuge on a safe world and worse; I formed attachments. I could've left at any time to fight the Empire, but even when I felt the darkness growing and the suffering becoming unbearable, I did nothing. When I felt Alderaan's destruction, I did nothing. When the Empire finally fell, I was still on Lanus with those..." His voice drops to a whisper. "With those I loved. I was selfish; I chose my attachments over the greater good. I failed Master Marr, I failed the Jedi, and I failed the galaxy."

"That's not even the worst part." He croaks out. "I came back for Astra, in the moment. But ultimately, the thought that finally made me seek to end the lie I was living was another promise. Not to Astra, but a promise to come back. I promised to come back and that is what drove me to do so."

"My Jedi went too far in their eschewing of attachments; taking children who aren't old enough to know better, not old enough to choose is wrong. I told Astra we would be different, we will allow attachments with those we teach and only adults can choose to pursue the life of a Jedi. But if an individual can't or won't put the greater good above their personal attachments, they can't be a Jedi. There's no shame in it; that life isn't for everyone. It takes a special heart to truly be a Jedi. I don't have that heart. I failed the test, and I'd fail it again if given the chance."

"But that doesn't stop me from wanting to be a Jedi. Wanting to fulfill my Master's dying wish, to take her teachings and train a new generation of Jedi. I want it, so much. But I can't. Because I'm a fraud."

He sits slumped on the rock, exhausted. Defeated.

"I've not slept since the Dark Planet. I can't, my dreams are haunted by my failure. By the ghosts of who I could be, arguing over who I am. I can't tell them off, because I don't know myself."

He finally looks at Tesara, the conflict plain to see on his face.

"I want someone I love, and who loves me back. I want a home, and a family." He gestures to the village below. "I want... this. I had it on Lanus, and I proved unwilling to give it up. I couldn't put the needs of others above my own, and so I know in my head that I can't be a Jedi. Though in my heart, I still want to serve the Will of the Force."
@Tesara Anerin
"Ah."  She says quietly.  She is silent for a moment, thinking on what he said.  "So, you went willingly to a Dark Side planet with Astra.  You were challenged with the offer, the temptation of everything you once wanted - to be a Jedi with Luke and be the epitome of the Jedi Knight, selfless and brave.  You stayed on Lanus where you knew it would be safe.  You left because of a promise.  The entire time you were there, you knew, in the back of your mind, that it was all a lie.  You said you retained your memories of this place, of us and especially Astra.  It was her that eventually pulled you far enough out of the lie to return to her and ultimately save her life.  You left behind everything that made you happy on Lanus to come back here, where everything is a mess and there are wars to be fought and a wholly uncertain future.  And that is an act of a failed Jedi?"  She gives him an even, calm, but piercing gaze.  "If you HAD failed, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.  You'd be stuck in there, living an entire lifetime that was a complete lie, living a fantasy life that is not one the Force had intended for you.  You would have left Astra there, likely to die.  I would have never left you behind, so I would have been forced to take Hadaza with me into the maze which would likely have led to me losing her only with the slight hope of rescuing you both."  She takes a long, deep breath, once again tilting her face to the waning sunlight.  "Durro, you left the Jedi behind in many, many ways.  You made decisions that brought you here because you DID follow the Will of the Force.  You followed it again and again and again.  You're HERE because you followed the Will of the Force to stop the swarm and save...everyone."
She stretches and turns to face him.  "Durro Thel-Tanis, Jedi Knight and Jedi Master without the official stamp of approval from some High Jedi Council on a world long lost to us...."  She lowers her voice, not really knowing where this is coming from.  "You are not a GOD.  You are a human being with emotions and you make mistakes.  STOP lashing yourself with a cruel whip wielded by the terrible whispering Dark Side and look around you.  Only YOU have the ability to recognize those thoughts and fears and pain and acknowledge them.  Then set them down and reach for what you want!  You’re putting so much power in a name and a group of people who aren’t even here!  Look around!  Who IS here?  We are.  Astra and I would not be who we are without your wisdom and guidance in all of your humanity.  Hadaza has already changed a great deal due to your influence.  Is THAT a failure?  No it is not.  I asked you the other day what you wanted, and you just told me.  To hell with the voice from some deep Dark Side planet that calls you a failure.  Listen to the Force.  Let it tell you the truth.  Then, when we get home, do as it calls you to do.  But STOP thinking you’re perfect and all is lost if you aren’t.”  She inhales once more, feeling as if some kind of voice that is hers and not hers has just finished speaking.  She watches him, waiting to see what happens.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
He is silent. For a long time he is silent. Children's voices can be faintly heard drifting up to them, along with the smell of meat cooking on open fires. The sun is low in the sky, and a cool breeze makes it way through the trees to rustle their clothes and make waves in the grass.

"What does it mean to be a Jedi?" Durro whispers. "I've finally answered that question; and it's not who I am. I can't give up my attachments for the greater good; I'll always choose those I love over the faceless, nameless masses I'm supposed to serve. Above all else, above all my other lessons to you, a Jedi is supposed to be selfless, to make the ultimate sacrifice or sacrifices if it serves balance. I can't do it. Master Marr tasked me with rebuilding the Jedi, to train them to be better, and I want to but I can't."

Tears can be seen streaming silently down his face.

"Her name was Enitirin*. She didn't exist for you; but in this illusion she became someone special to me. Your Grandmother kept saying we'd end up together, but I still pretended I was a Jedi and was going to leave any day. I had decided to ask her to marry me after your wedding. She was a beautiful lie that nearly convinced me to stay. Forever. She made me happy in a way I've never been before. I don't think I'll ever find her here; which makes me wonder if a decision to walk away from the Jedi is even worth it. I fear I'm destined to save the universe, at the cost of my own happiness. That is what keeps me up at night. Because I can't stand the idea."

*("One Who Laughs" in Lanusian.)
@Tesara Anerin
She closes her eyes, feeling the grief rolling off him in waves.  "Now that makes more sense to me."  She says softly.  "Love changes everything, doesn't it?  You fell in love, Durro.  She must have been very special."  She is silent for a moment.  The sky is clear and there are birds she can hear in the distance, but next to her, he is a grieving man.  "So, were all the Jedi selfless where you came from?  Did they all eschew attachments and love to live celibate lives and choose the masses over their friends and family and loved ones?  Because that sounds terribly sad and lonely."  She sighs quietly.  "So now you have a choice ahead of you.  You can take a step back and look at the job you signed up for.  Or rather, were indoctrinated into, as your were a mere child when that path was chosen for you.  What you believe, what you do, what you wear and what you wield have always made you a Jedi.  It was simple and straightforward.  But the Force said no.  It caused a series of events that led you away from the Order and you lived.  And yet you are still a Jedi.  But to me, that is just a title, and one that, here in this Universe, this timeline, isn't exactly a beloved one.  The Jedi have messed up a lot of things.  They were led astray from the Will of the Force in their determined desire to follow it.  They misread things, misunderstood things.  They made mistakes.  But you now have a choice.  Will you stop wearing the robes?  Will you stop wielding the lightsaber?"  She looks around meaningfully.  "I don't see anyone telling you that you can't."  She recalls his words on Olivan.  "You said once I am what a Jedi should be.  But I am not a Jedi.  That is a paradox, no?  Then be a paradox with me.  Find a different path while you forge it.
Use your wisdom and your skills to become the best man you can be."  She looks at him again.  "And maybe out there, back on the Lanus-that-is, she's there just waiting for you, with no idea who you are.  Because YOU don't know yet who you will be."
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Durro smiles at her, though the tears are still there. His lip still quivers, just slightly. He wipes his eyes and takes a great deep breath to steel himself.

"Thank you." He says softly. "Go, enjoy the village and the river. I've a lot to think about."
@Tesara Anerin
"Not yet."  She says.  "While you are not a god, you are also not a droid.  Yet you were programmed, and very thoroughly.  You're one of the most intelligent people I know.  You're also quick witted and an excellent actor.  You're good at a great many things.  So use that intelligence to recognize where the programming is doing damage.  Weed out the bad and keep the good stuff.  And...Durro, about Enitrin...if you cannot find her on Lanus, then find her somewhere else, even if it is a different face or a different name.  Because everyone deserves love and happiness."  She stands and stretches her hands towards the sky.  She repeats a mantra her family taught her.  "Flow with the river, not against it."  She smiles at him and walks away to give him some time to think on all of it.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
The sun has set and the feast is nearly over before Durro joins the celebration. There is no sign of what transpired on the hill, save to those who know him best.

After the feast, as the villagers return to their homes, Natsu through Amai finds them, along with the young translator.

"Hello again, my friends." He says through his translator. "Would you like to hear what I've learned?"

There is a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye as he asks.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara smiles at him.  "Yes of course, hi'raa."  She bows in deference.  "I am most curious."
"Your spirits were hard to find." He says. "You've come a long way and are very far from home. Your sprits are friends of this world."

The girl translates, and then he continues.

"Durro, your spirit is strong; like a mighty tree. 'Samarashi'Ki', wandering spirit of the storm. Your spirit loves to roam; its home wherever there's family. Though like the storm, can bring both destruction and new life. Samarashi'Ki through Durro; you're always welcome among us."

Once the girl has translated and Durro bows his head in thanks, he turns to Tesara.

"Your spirit is Hirukawa, a nurturing spirit of the river. Like your father's; your spirit comes from far away, though unlike him you have a home. Somewhere you belong, like the river in its bed. You bring life to those who cross your path, and protection to those who seek your banks. Hirukawa through Tesara. You'll always have a home here."

Again, the girl translates. She also then hands them each a simple bracelet; river stones and beads woven into banding that is centered on a simple wooden tile carved with a symbol.

"Your spirit's names; may you guide them well." the Hi'raa says with a smile. The girl translates his words, and the two guards from before come forward, leading their mounts. Their tails swish eagerly and their eyes dart around as if eager to run with the wind.
@Tesara Anerin
"Hirukawa"  Tesara whispers.  "It's lovely."  She can hear the Ny'dekks behind her and knows her time here is limited.  Her heart is heavy at the leaving, but this journey has brought so much life to her very being, she knows she will never forget it.  She puts on the bracelet and opens her arms to hug the girl, then gives the hi'raa a questioning look, as she would very much like to embrace him in thanks as well, but is aware such a thing might be a breach of protocol.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
The old man grins, and lunges forward to squeeze her in a surprisingly tight hug for such a fragile-looking frame. Once he releases her, he says;

"Until we meet again, friends. In this world, or the next." The girl translates for him.

"Thank you." Durro replies, bowing deeply. "I sincerely hope to return again one day."

He mounts his Ny'dekk, which tenses like a coiled spring, ready to run.
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara laughs high and bright at the tight hug from the old man.  "Blessings on you."  She kisses his cheek and turns to mount her own Ny'dekk.  She glances at Durro, wondering how he is doing.  He seems a little better, but she knows how well he can hide when he wants to.  "Ready?"  She asks with a smile.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"Ready." He gives her a grin.

With a click of their tongues, their ny'dekks take off into the night, winging their way back to the city. Back to their home.
/end
(((OOC Thank you, @Durro Thel-Tanis this was one of my favorite IB's of all time!))) ? ?