The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field Trip 4/12/22
05-29-2022, 11:17 AM,
Field Trip 4/12/22
Durro Thel-Tanis — 04/12/2022
After the snack in Neiziel's hut, Durro thanks the young woman and he, Handyman, and Tesara herd the children outside into the sunlight.

The children have been paired up and are marching (yes, literally marching) beside their partner in two rows. As the only translator, Cheerie is partnered with Handyman. Durro is leading, Handyman is halfway back and beside the column, and Tesara brings up the rear. As they approach the market, Durro halts the march and turns to face them. He speaks clearly so they all can hear him:

"We're about to enter the market, so listen carefully. There's only two rules on this field trip and they are, in order of importance;" he holds up his fingers, first one then two. "One, 'Don't Wander Off.' Two, 'Stay With Your Marching Buddy.' Are we clear?"
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
TheTraveler — 04/12/2022
Cheerie raises her hand, "Master Thel-Tanis, i love hanging out with Handyman. But if you don’t mind, I would really like to spend time wjth with Tesara. Can I please be paired up with her?"

The other girls nod their understanding of the rules.

@Tesara Anerin @Durro Thel-Tanis
Tesara Anerin — 04/12/2022
Tesara's cheeks go a little pink and she smiles at Durro.  "I can handle them here in the market if you'd like to go wandering and information gathering?"  She offered.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"Of course Cheerie, that's acceptable."

He turns to Tesara.

"I appreciate the offer, but I'm multitasking."

He grins and turns around again.

"Forward! March! Left... Left.... Left Right Left... Left... Left... Left Right Left."
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara takes Cheerie's hand and smiles at her.  "Let's just pretend that we're an army on leave to have fun in the market today."
@TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 04/12/2022
Cheerie nodded and playfully marched along side Tesara as all the other girls followed Durro like little duckies going two by two.

@Durro Thel-Tanis @Tesara Anerin
Tesara smiles fondly at them all, while at the same time watching everything in her surroundings very carefully.  She notes who is smiling at them and who is not, who looks indifferent, who looks suspicious.  She watches the girls as they enter the market place.  The smells are the first thing that hits her.  It doesn't smell familiar in the slightest, but it is a good smell nevertheless.  "What would we like to do first?"  She asks them all.  "Eat or shop?"
@Durro Thel-Tanis  @TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 04/12/2022
The vast majority of the locals were suspicious, but not rude or nasty. After all, they were familiar with off-worlders. Their village had been attacked by offworlders. And it had been saved by them as well.

The girls all answered in a joyous, "eat!"

Cheerie was the only one who appeared to be concerned or worried about her surroundings.

Tesara takes note and keeps her hand in Cheerie's.  "Pick where you'd like to go then."  She calls to them, then kneels down so she is eye level with Cheerie.  "I think I know why you're nervous.  It's my fault for being worried and upset and telling Durro what I knew when you were standing there.  The situation I spoke to him about is completely different than your presence here.  You are in no danger from these people."  She says gently.  "You can trust Master Thel-Tanis and I to keep you safe, but I assure you, no one will harm you here."
@TheTraveler
(Oh sure, just skip me while I am at work and cannot post.)
(BTW, Durro has not stopped marching, did Tesara and Cheerie fall behind?)

"We just ate!" Durro says in an exaggerated tone of exasperation. "You should be good for at least twelve hours!"

Like a good commander, Durro too has been observing. He notes the most friendly looking (and feeling) place where food can be obtained and steers his column of blue-skinned cadets over to it.

"Company HALT!"
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara notices Durro has halted ahead, but she’s not going anywhere until Cheerie responds.
@TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 04/12/2022
(OOC: Sorry, had something going on that required my attention.)

As Durro stated that they had just eaten, there was an audible whine from the eight girl.

Cheerie pulled on Tesara's clothes and motioned to one of the nearby stands were other kids were getting some kind of powdered pastry.

She smiled as she spoke, "I don't think they are all that hungry."
Tesara watches the girl, who had not responded to her words about being safe.  “I meant what I said.”  She said softly,  the stood again.  “Let’s get back in marching line before we are disciplined!”  She laughs.
@TheTraveler @Durro Thel-Tanis
Durro Thel-Tanis — 04/13/2022
(((Oh I see, I have to write what happens. I thought that was the storyteller's job. lol)))

Durro, having observed Tesara and Cheerie falling out of line, raises an eyebrow in their direction and sends an inquisitive feeling through the Force.

"Handyman, please ask the shopkeeper what our options are and how we're expected to pay for things."

While the droid moves to do the speaking; Durro watches the girls and keeps an eye on both Tesara and Cheerie and the surrounding marketplace.
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
TheTraveler — 04/13/2022
Handyman turns and nods, "yes Sir." He says plainly and walks over to a nearby by shop keeper.

As the droid is speaking, Durro notices the locals going about and doing their own things, though there is a clear sense of awareness the villagers have taken with the group. The appearance of acceptance is only surface deep. After all, the group are offworlders.

Unaware of Durro’s sense through the Force Cheerie smiles and waves at his raised eyebrow. Clearly unaware of any wrong doing, afterall she was with her marching partner.

The other girls say Durro direct Handyman to the shopkeeper where the good smelling treats were being made, and they displayed joy and exception. Thought they remained in line and with their marching buddies.

Tesara Anerin — 04/13/2022
Tesara approaches the group with Cheerie and looks at Durro.  "Forgive our tardiness, commander."  She grins a little.  "Cheerie and I had important business to conduct."
@Durro Thel-Tanis
Durro smiles back, but there is also a hardness, a seriousness to his look.

"Be glad I'm not running this detachment with full military rules." He says with a playful but warning tone.

"I'm just waiting for Handyman to return with instructions. He's finding out how this system works; how we will trade in this market."

He continues keeping an eye on the group and their surroundings. At least they stopped in the shade of one of the stalls and not out in the heat of the four suns...
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara raises an eyebrow and looks around as well.  She spots a booth a little down the way that looks like it is selling toys.  She sends him a message through the Force.
I don't want the girls to be worried about anything. I am trying to keep the mood light and playful.  I am also paying attention to my surroundings as well as you.  Between the two of us we should be fine.  I just want them to enjoy themselves today.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"I know, which is why the rules aren't super strict. Children like to march in a group and it keeps them from running or wandering off."

"Let's get them fed, then we can worry about other things. Food a small thing, I'm using it to learn how this market works; since we don't even know how we're going to trade. We don't know the local customs or if they use currency or barter. We also don't have and didn't bring much to trade."
@Tesara Anerin
She nods and responds in kind.
Remember, they do not want us to use any kind of Force powers at all.  Anything we trade could be offered in physical labor, childcare, errands, things of that nature.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
"I'm aware, but thanks for the reminder." The voice in her head communicates a dry humor in those words.

The connection is dropped and Durro looks towards Handyman, awaiting his return and his report.
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
TheTraveler — 04/13/2022
(OOC: sorry for the delay, i a. Struggling here at work)
TheTraveler — 04/13/2022
Handyman returned to the party, "I believe i have resolved our trade issues with these locals. I have established a trade with that merchant. He is willing to give us a heftt sum in exchange for a pair of blasters."

As if sensing the question, "do not fear. The blasters are much lower tech than we field."

He held out his hand and showed the small basket of simple metal coins. "You use these to aquire items you need."

@Tesara Anerin @Durro Thel-Tanis
"Handyman you are worth your weight in gold."  She grins at him.  "Thank you."
@Durro Thel-Tanis @TheTraveler
"At least, on a planet where gold is valued." Durro adds, taking the basket.

"Now, we were saying we were hungry?" He says just loudly enough to be heard in Sy-Bisti.

He leans and says to Tesara; "Keep an eye on them while I'm getting food. If possible, see if you observe any stalls or shops where we can find things they may be interested in or would be good for them to see. This is supposed to be fun but also educational."

He heads over to the food merchant with Handyman to acquire snacks for his cadets.
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
TheTraveler — 04/13/2022
Handyman nodded, "i am glad i could be of service." He motioned to the vendors, "you will find a wide range of options for food. Though i was warned that those made with the Jahvi root are very spicy."

He pointed to another vendor,  "you will find that vendor sells religions artifacts from all the different tribes."

"He also stated that when we are in large numbers the locals are more nervous around us."

Tesara looks at the girls, then at Durro.  “You take handyman because he can translate for you. I’ll take Cheerie, Lina, Kavi and Ora.  You take Pyra, Biri, Idima and Vaschi?”  She asks if this arrangement works for him.
@Durro Thel-Tanis @TheTraveler
(((OOC Cheerie is 9)))
Durro Thel-Tanis — 04/14/2022
"We all need Handyman to translate for us." Durro says with an amused smile. "No, we'll stay together. I'd love to make the locals more comfortable, but unless another translator joins us we will have to travel as one group."

He finds a spot to sit the girls down with their marching partners and let them eat the snack they had purchased. While they were thus engaged he took Tesara and Handyman aside.

"I'd like to let the girls enjoy a day in the market, but everyone's on edge with this large a group. We only have one translator, so we're forced to stay together. Do you two have any ideas?"
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin
Tesara Anerin — 04/14/2022
Tesara shakes her head.  "That is a battle we cannot win.  Split up we have a communication barrier.  Together we appear too much to set them at ease.  Either way there is no winning.  The only idea I have is to split us up as I suggested, make note of what they might like then come back together to meet and then take Handyman to each booth to make the translations and actual purchases.  Other than that, we stick together as a group and go together.  As long as we smile and look like we're no threat there shouldn't be an issue.  They're little girls for heavens sakes.  If these people are threatened by them that's their problem."  She scowls slightly.
@Durro Thel-Tanis
@TheTraveler
TheTraveler — 04/14/2022
He looked back and further for a moment, "while both options have merit, there is truly only want path that we should take. Both and neither at the same time."

Handyman raised a hand, "Some remain here under supervision. Few join a adult and myself as translator."

He motioned between Tesara and Durro, "this way we have both options."

Durro Thel-Tanis — 04/14/2022
"A good compromise." Durro agrees. "We'll divide as Tesara suggested; your group can explore first."
@TheTraveler
@Tesara Anerin