The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter One: Deep Space Music
10-10-2015, 08:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2015, 09:07 PM by williamvoss.)
RE: Chapter One: Deep Space Music
As the captain spoke Kyle found himself glance at Lyona..she had be his voice of reason and the only thing that kept the demons way at night..yes..disconnect was a good word for how a soldier felt and the job was the job. He shook himself free of thought as the sound was played. He would tilt his half talking to himself.."the distortion almost sounds intentional..perhaps jamming..that could explain the echoing..poor transmission equipment..but grinding is.." He would pause and look at Lyona.."it almost sounds like combat.."...'or something worse' he thought but didn't voice. The best minds and they didn't know what to make of it..was a thought that worried him
10-10-2015, 11:01 PM,
Lyona nods at the words of the Captain "yep, that would be true."
She turns to face as Professor Underwood starts to talk "sure Professor, I would love to help," as she places her feet on the ground and sits closer to her to see what she has. Listening to the sounds she sits back on the chair and pulls her legs up onto the chair. Kyle speaks up before she can compose herself. Nodding, then looking over at Kyle "It does sound like some sort of jamming. Possibly could be from poor equipment, but I don't think so". She then gets a blank stare as if thinking and remembering "it does almost sound like a combat going on," as she hugs her legs
Then reaching over, she takes the USB from the Professor and stares at it. She then musters up a smile and looks at her "I would be glad to put a fresh pair of ears and eyes to it." She twists the drive in her fingers, the sounds of battle ringing through her head.
10-11-2015, 09:19 AM,
The ringing sound of Kyle's marchlike step caused Alan to lift his head from the cradle he'd made with his arms on the shift lounge table. He let out a sigh and rubbed his eyes in an attempt to make the effort to participate in the conversation now that the others were filtering in. The mission had so far been a milk run, but therein lay the problem for Alan. He had signed on for what the professor had described as "an exciting mission", and little did Alan know, but exciting apparently meant something entirely different for the good doctor. The past month or two had been driving Alan a little stir crazy.

His arms stretched out like the arms of the jump ship sail as he attempted to further wake himself. He smiled at Alice as he leaned back in his chair. "I'm afraid so. I love getting paid to sit around as much as the next guy, but I need some action soon." He spoke as he rose to his feet and strode over to the coffee maker, steam rising from the acrid black liquid. "I'm more than just a pretty face you know." He gave her a wink and chuckled as he took his drink to his seat.
10-11-2015, 10:04 AM,
Thorchan looks over in the direction of Alan and says "If your so pretty how come you didn't go into fashion?" He makes a sound that sounds like a mixture of a cough and a hiccup. More than once people have wondered if that is a laugh or a cough. With all the cigars he smokes, it could be either. He then turns back to the doctor. "Ok so now that these "geniuses" have had their say, what do you think Doc? What are the possibilities of this being a battle? Or are the young'uns just barking up a tree with a squirrel in it?" he says. While he is not one to run from a fight his experience has taught him not everything that looks like a fight IS a fight.
10-11-2015, 08:30 PM,
Lyona snickers at Alan "As you keep on telling us." Putting her feet on the ground, she looks over at the Captain. She looks at the USB drive that the Professor gave her. She wonders if her computer programs would be able to determine what the noises are. Unfortunately her computer is in her billet.
She listens for a few more minutes as the Captain talks to the Professor, then she gets up "Well if you 'gentlemen'," she uses air quotes "I am off to take a look at this info and see what I come up with." She looks over at the Professor "If I come up with anything I will get it to you ASAP."
She looks down at Kyle, smiles and heads out of the lounge and back to her billet.
10-12-2015, 09:33 AM,
Uninterested in the conversation happening between the members of the Sckicksal, Captain Mosconi continued his own conversation with Professor Angsoft, "We are still tracking that comet. I have ordered my men to start to pull in the sail. We will jump out of system in three days, then return in a week. Are you sure that you and your people will be fine on the station?"

Professor Angsoft nodded, "yes yes Captain. The station was designed to withstand the particles that have been detected in the Comet's tail. We will keep the major systems off while the comet makes its pass. I just want to make sure that the Ark is safe. I will be sending Doctor Underwood with you and the Ark. She knows the systems of the Ark better than anyone else."

Captain Mosconi nodded, "Okay. Just make sure that all your people are transferred over to the station before we jump. Cause I am not delaying the jump. While your station might be protected, I am not risking the Nav or Jump Computers. I set the clock, we will jump no matter what."

Back at the table and the separate conversation building there. Alice tried to hide her blush at Alan's comment. She found herself distracted before she realized that Thorchan had asked her something. "Oh, I am not so sure. I don't think its combat Sir" she said as she often addressed members of the Sckicksal's crew. "Sounds are very distinctive. Explosions, while loud have a very low tone. I can hear what appears to be explosions, but the tones are much higher than expected." she looked down at her lap top and showed a graph. "See how the recorded sounds of a space battle between Allied forces and the Word of Blake played out. The low tones here on the graphs are points of explosive impacts. In my recording, these are not present. Plus if there was a battle here, wouldn't their be some kind of wreckage?"

She paused for a moment, "But the distortions are making it impossible for me to identify. Which is why I asked for some help. maybe some fresh ideas."

She giggled as she turned to Alan once more, "I have to say, we never get paid for sitting around and doing anything. It was the disappearance of the Comstar ship in this system is why your group was hired. Our backers wanted to make sure that if the ship was attacked by pirates we were protected" she smiled and blinked at him. "In a way you are our heroes."

Alice nodded to Lyona as the Merc tech got up. Alice politely added, "Thank you for your help."
10-13-2015, 10:53 AM,
He would sit back quietly listening. He really hadn't taken time to sit down in these large conversations and when he did, he was quiet. He preferred to observe the rest of their team. As Lyona stood he caught the loom she gave him and as she turned to leave stood and took a single step to the side of his chair made a crisp turn and followed in behind her. As he made it to the door he motioned.to the USB in her hand "Call me curious..what exactly do you think it is" he asked as they left the room.
10-18-2015, 06:50 PM,
Lyonas snickers only serve to encourage Alan and he gives Thorchan a very serious look. "It's because I'm too pretty I'm afraid. I throw off the curve. An industry thrives off competition you see. Besides I aim to be a healthy well rounded individual. That's why I strap myself into an eighty five ton war machine and ride into the heat of bat- no wait that can't be right...." he stares into his coffee with mock concern before letting the look fade back into a grin as he takes a sip and leans back into his seat.

His attention returns to Alice once he'd finished his customary jab at Thorchans gruff persona. "Well miss, I'm glad you find us to be heroes, I know there's little room on either a jumpship or an expedition for those who don't pull their own weight." As he hears the very serious and final tones of the captain's conversation he throws his focus that way, listening to the discussion of the Kellington parting ways with the mission crew. "I suppose that's my cue to make sure my ride is ready for transit. I shall bid you adieu ma'am." With that he rises to his feet and gives her an uncharacteristically polite bow, almost more for Thorchans benefit than hers, and he drifts off towards the 'mech bays.
10-18-2015, 08:38 PM,
Thorchan just glares in the general direction of the mech bays as he chews his cigar, then moves it make to the corner of his mouth. He then turns around and in the general direction of the doctor and the captain and says softly and to no one in general "Its a good thing he is good at what he does, otherwise ..." the rest is just a mixture of mumbles and strange noises. He then straightens up and tells the captain and the doctor "My crew will be ready for anything. Just give the word."
10-19-2015, 05:45 PM,
Captain Mosconi nodded to Thorchan, "good, make sure that your people are ready. In three day, I expect to jump out of system." He turned to Professor Angsoft, "Professor" he said than paused, "three days." On that note, the seasoned Jumpship captain pushed himself off a near by table and drafted for the door.

Professor Angsoft drifted over to the table where Alice and the rest of the party were sitting and talking. He turned to face Alice, "Alice, I will need you to make the final updates to the Ark's Core before the end of tomorrow."

"Professor?" she said with a bit of confusion in her voice. "I was going to make the updates after we returned to the station. I mean there is no reason to rush" she said checking her dates, "we are not launching the ark for another month."

He slammed his fist on the table in an uncharacteristic outburst, "I need it....." he calmed down a bit. The sharp sound caused Alice to flinch back in surprise. "Alice, I would like the final updates down before the end of tomorrow.

She looked down almost afraid to speak up. But she had to, "Sir, much of my equipment is in my room on the station. There just isn't enough time to complete the upgrades."

OOC NOTE: Within the Sckicksal's Bay Two Cargo Bay is a Mark VII shuttle. If only Alice had a pilot that could take her to the station and get her gear.