The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 9 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 931 eval
/showthread.php 1117 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code 19 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "posttime" - Line: 9 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatar_padding" - Line: 19 - File: inc/functions_post.php(931) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chapter Four (Jake and Kimiko)
04-01-2016, 09:28 AM,
RE: Chapter Four (Jake and Kimiko)
She smiled as the image of New Earth started to change because the dropship started to rotate. It was clear that the ship was starting its breaking thrust maneuvers. "Hot" she said turning to face him once more. "But we arrived just outside of Riyadh during their summer months" she explained. "We took ground transport to Mecca. I remember the air was so dry and it was so hot. We stopped for the night in a small town called Dhalm. A family took us in for the night. They treated us like we were part of their family."

She glanced around as memories flooded her mind, "I thought it was so strange that these people who had next to nothing took us in, feed us and treated us so well. I set there while my father and brothers spent much of the night with the family speaking about Islam. Even my mother took part in the conversation."

"Later that night, I climbed up on the roof of their barn and looked out in to the night sky. I could see the blinking lights of a Comstar ship somewhere in the distance. I wondered what it had been like right there in that moment long before space travel. Was there a girl on a barn looking up in to the night sky like I was."

She turned back towards Jake, "the next morning we continued our travel. I noticed my father leaving the family an envelop. I asked him what was in it. He smiled to me and said, 'Kimiko, we are a religion of kindness and respect. We return that kindness in turn. This is who we are.' Those words really had meaning for me."

She continued softly, "some day, I have to go back. I have to fulfill my own hajj, or pilgrimage. It is required for all adult Muslims to take fulfill their own hajj once in their life time. My father showed me the way, one day I have to complete my own."

She leaned against the large glass window, "tell me about your parents. What are the like?"
04-03-2016, 02:08 PM,
"They're quiet sorts," Jake said in reply to Kimiko's question. Or were. Either way. "I was like a pup on a leash--they let me sniff around and explore, but with a hand on the leash in case I got into trouble. So I never really fell in with any bad crowds or anything...they made sure I stayed in school, kept my grades up, and all that. Pretty much never argued with 'em."
"We lived in Otisburg--a small city on Tharkad. It was amazing, being right at the pulse of everything, of all of House Steiner's movements..." He trailed off, not wanting to sound like a hypernationalist nutcase.
04-03-2016, 07:41 PM,
Kimiko laughed, "I know how it feels to be on a short leash" she said with a smile. "I used to go to school in a private school named after my father. The parents of my fellow classmates, had all sworn an oath to my family."

She glanced down and shook her head, "imaging trying to break even the smallest rule when everyone is watching you and reporting what you are doing."

She paused then looked back at him, "that is nothing compared to the media. When I would go with my mother or my nanny to a near by city to shop or just to get away from my home. The media was everywhere. My whole life was exposed for the public. When I left New Earth for Luthian, I known this sounds silly. But for a change living under someone else shadow was almost refreshing."

She paused for a moment then added, "but that doesn't tell me anything about your parents. Who are they. What are they like? Are they proud of you?" She once more glanced down, "I am sorry, I should be so intrusive."
04-05-2016, 01:43 PM,
"My dad's Robert Straker, but everyone calls him Rob. My mom's Rose Straker. Dad just calls her Rosie when he's in a playful sort of mood. They're like an old married couple only they aren't old yet," said Jake, referring to his parents in the present tense to avoid confusion. Besides, they technically were alive...just very young. "They weren't too happy at first when I told them I was going to be an Aero-jock--they wanted me to settle down and live quietly like they did. Mostly because they care about me and don't want me getting hurt. But they decided in the end that I should follow my dreams. They even helped me get the cash I needed to enroll at the academy." A fond smile graced his features. "I miss them, but I know they're okay."
He laughed. "You're not being intrusive at all. I'm enjoying this."
04-06-2016, 02:11 PM,
Kimiko smiled, "thank you" she walked with grace across the deck towards her wardrobe. Even though the gravity was less then on planet side, she seemed to glide as she moved. Like a swan gliding across the water. "There is much of my brothers in you. They too wanted to be soldier, like my father."

She reached her wardrobe and reached inside. "They inspired to be like my father." She pulled out a medal of valor. The kind of award that is only issued by a sitting Archon. "My father was one who inspired other" she said as she walked over and handed Jake the metal. Having a good look at it, he could tell that the metal was issued posthumously.

"It belonged to my brother Seth. His led his unit to hold the line while others fled" she explained. "He gave his life so that others would live." She smiled at him as she spoke, "I know you have greatness in you. A heroic heart. These things I have seen already."

She nodded as she asked, "who inspired you to reach for this greatness and why?"

Then without warning she placed a finger on his lips as if to hold his answer. "I am naturally curious and open." She smiled again, "that means if you want the questions to end, give me more." She playfully removed her finger from his lips and allowed him to answer.
04-08-2016, 12:49 PM,
Jake's face flushed a little at the praise of being a hero, and he briefly busied his gaze on the medal handed to him. He returned the smile cautiously. "Well...it was mostly propaganda that did it...can't live long enough in the shadow of giants without admiring them and melding to fit with them." He realized he was rambling and coughed nervously. "At any rate, my grandfather--his name was William--was an engineer for the Second Royal Guards, the 'Pride of Skye', back in his day. Piloted an IndustrialMech to build fortifications. Never saw much combat, since they stayed on Tharkad when the Clans came in, but he had...I dunno how you'd say it. A sort of nobility to him. Dignity, y'know. He had /presence./ A man of few words, but the words he did speak, everyone listened to. He was the one who encouraged my idea of joining up initially, and he helped me convince Mom and Dad to let me go."
"I guess I get it from him, then. He'd do any job, no matter how meaningless, like it was his masterpiece, his life's work. He may not agree with what was being done or what he was being told to do, but--within reason of course--he'd do his best to carry it out. That, to me, was what being a soldier or a pilot was about. About doing things /right/. Worth more than the best combat record in the Sphere."
"I have his old unit patch with me--he gave it to me before I enlisted, and I've kept it with me ever since."
04-10-2016, 01:32 PM,
Kimiko nodded as she listened, “I would love to see this patch of your grandfather. William sounds like a remarkable man.”

She meant to speak more but a chime interrupted them. Kimiko walked over to the wall mounted intercom, “Yes?” she said softly in to the device.

The militaristic voice spoke clearly and directly, “Duchess,” he started off with and brought a bit of redness to Kimiko’s face. It was clear that she wasn’t fully comfortable with accepting her mother’s title. “We are about to start our approach to New Earth’s Conceptopolis Spaceport. The Captain would like to invite you up to the bridge so you can oversee the landing.”

Kimiko turned to Jake and nodded, “yes I would like that a lot. Please inform the Captain that I will be bringing my advisor.” She turned off the intercom before speaking to Jake, “shall we come and see my home world?” she asked then paused. “Oh maybe you would like to check in with your friends first” she offered then added, “I need to freshen up first. Please take this time to speak with your friends.” She turned and walked in to the bathroom and closed the door behind her.

(OOC: Jake take this moment to post in the other thread as you communicate with your team. This is a time limited event, so be clear and steady in your communication with the rest of your group.)